Sep 26, 2010

Homemade Wooden Crates

My two year old's room used to be a death trap.
There were toys scattered all over her floor 24/7, mostly because I didn't have enough baskets or whatever to store them in.

So after stubbing my toe in her room a few too many times, the wheels in my head starting moving when I saw this picture from Pottery Barn Kids...

{image:  Pottery Barn Kids}

and this picture from Sausha's Show and Tell blog.
I was going to get those toys organized by making my own wooden crates!!!

I could hardly wait to get started!

{image:  Show & Tell}

I started by making a drawing.
I know it looks like a little kid drew it but I promise it was me.
I came up with some measurements {and then changed them a little}
and got to work.


These crates are made out of 1/2" plywood and 1x1's.
The first thing I did was make all my cuts for the crates.

Base:  {16"x19"}
4 posts (this is what the 1x1's are for):  {12"}
6 long slats:  {3 3/4" x 19"}
6 short slats:  {3 3/4" x 17 1/16"}

{I did this times three because I wanted to make three crates.}



After I my husband and I made all the cuts, I laid the base piece down, then used liquid nails and a screw to secure a post in each corner.


Then, I began nailing the first row of slats around the base and the four posts.
I used LOTS of nails.  
I wanted this thing made to LAST cause kids are rough. 



To start making the next row of slats {and I apologize for not getting a picture of this}, we used some scraps of wood {measuring about 1/2" thick} and laid it on top of the first slat as a spacer and then nailed the slats in place.

{I hope that makes sense!!!  I could never be one of those people who writes out directions to put things together for a living!  I'm terrible at explaining things unless I show someone in person!}


The spacing is what makes this wooden box look like a crate.

Repeat this for the last row of slats.
The last row is going to be about 1/2 inch higher than the posts and that is exactly what you want!


This is what they look like when they are all nailed together.


My husband used some sandable putty on the middle slat because that is where I wanted to use the inspiration I got from the Pottery Barn  picture to make chalkboard labels.
Sanding this spot a little makes it smoother for writing with chalk.
It's probably not a completely necessary step but it's what we decided to do.

Anyway, after that I spray painted each crate with some white primer.
After the primer dried a bit, I painted the outside of each crate with two coats of regular white paint and the inside with only one coat of regular white paint. 
The reason I only gave the inside one coat is because it's likely to get all banged up from the toys that will soon be in it, so I was fine making it look more weathered on purpose.

When all the paint was dry, I taped off a section on the front middle slat and painted inside that section with chalkboard paint.


My husband ripped some extra wood we had laying around for the molding around the chalkboard paint.
You could easily just buy some tiny molding too.

I applied the molding to the crate using liquid nails.

***Tip:  Squeeze some liquid nails onto some newspaper and then dip a screw into the liquid nails and wipe it onto the molding.  This way you're in more control over how much liquid nails gets onto the molding and it won't squeeze out the sides when you put it around the chalkboard section and make a big mess.


I'm so happy with how these wooden crates turned out!

I labeled each one with chalk...

{Never mind the really old carpet...
replacing it is at the top of our list of things to do at this old fixer upper house of ours.}

and now...


no more messy bedroom floor.
In the words of my mother, "A place for everything, and everything in it's place."



The storage possibilities are endless with these cute crates!

They could be used for toy storage in a bedroom or a play room,
for mittens and scarves in a closet,
sports equipment in the garage,
pantry storage, etc., etc...

and the best part is that they are simple and inexpensive to make.

16 comments:

Laurie in SC said...

Love your crates - you did an awesome job!!! TFS!

Unknown said...

love these! thank you for linking up to MMM!

Jill said...

Those crates are great! I've tried with wood, I really have, but I'm just not there yet! You make it look so easy, maybe I'll have another go....

I'd love if you linked up this project to my weekly Round Tuit party:

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2010/09/round-tuit-16.html

Hope you have a lovely week

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Caro said...

Oh, how i LOOOOVE this!!!!

Envymycooking said...

Found your blog through links...If you ever need new recipes come swing by our blog. we also have a great give away going on now.. A free purse of your choice

Unknown said...

They look great, thanks for sharing!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Robin - What a fantastic idea! Your crates are perfect! Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase Party, I have featured this here:
http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/09/clean-mama-printables-winners-sunday.html#comments

Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

What a great tutorial!!! They turned out amazing!
If you would like to join in on another linky party, I would love to have you link up to mine :)

~Lori @ Paisley Passions
Paisley Passions Linky Party Thrilling Thursdays

Leah (old account) said...

Such a cute idea! i want to do something like this with all my gardening stuff! Found you at Thrilling Thursdays!

livinglifecrafty.blogspot.com

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Thanks SO much for joining in on Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions. I love to see the creative talent of other fellow bloggers. Hope you will stop by again soon :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

Amanda said...

I love this, I've featured you on Craft Gossip here http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/pb-inspired-wooden-crates/ :)

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Larri said...

Found you through Craft Gossip and I'll be back! Fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

Summer said...

Great idea and I love the end product!

Unknown said...

these are fantastic...and you are so handy with power tools. i can't say i have the same talent;) popping by from tatertots and jello

Melanie @ Addicted to Homes said...

Found you at Tatertots and Jello - WOW, these are awesome!!! What a great idea! I'll definitely have to try making these, my boys have lots of matchbox cars and the fabric bins just won't cut it. Thanks for sharing!

Katie Brown said...

Wonderful job you've done here! I'm so inspired to make some crates now! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...