Jan 6, 2011

New and Improved Hallway Closet

This is our hallway closet before we got our hands on it.

This closet reeeealy needed to be remodeled because

a.) the closet was ugly
+
b.) every time anyone opened the closet door to grab the vacuum or a coat or something, it blocked the entire hallway and no one else could get by.
{Slightly annoying.}


So I sketched some ideas I had for this closet onto a piece of paper and showed it to my husband to give him an idea of what I wanted to do with this space.

{I think of the ideas...he implements them.  
We're the perfect match I tell ya!}

I told him I definitely wanted to remove the door of the closet for good
 {and he couldn't agree more}
and I wanted it to have more of an open airy pretty feel to it.

I also wanted a nice organized functional space not only for us, but also for our guests to hang coats and so forth after coming inside.


To make this closet space not only more functional and more attractive than it was before, I also
found a super fantastic free printable stencil from Jones Design Company that I used to fancy up the inside of the closet.
Check out her post for the stencil {here}.

To say I love this stencil would be an understatement.
It adds sooooo much character to this small space!

It's also a super duper cheap thing to do!!!

{All it took was card stock to print out the stencil, scissors to cut the stencil out, a pencil to trace the stencil onto the wall, white paint I already had from another project, and a tiny paint brush that I took from my kiddos water color paints...shhh...don't tell.}

But I'm warning you it does take a ton of time.
It took me a month to find a little free time here and there to finish all the stenciling in this tiny closet ...but it was so worth it to me.

 

Here's a view of the closet just after coming up the stairs.
{our home is a split level}


To keep the top shelf useful and organized, I bought these two baskets at Michael's for $7.00 a piece {LOVE their 40% of coupons!!!}.

I also added this old outside light fixture to the shelf just for fun.
I purchased it at Goodwill for $4.00 like I mentioned early here.


I purchased these hooks at Target for $25.00 and the gray paint is called Dolphin Fin by Behr.

{It's what the majority of our house is painted in.  It's a very calm color and we love it!}


Another view of the new and improved closet.


...and here it is again in real life with stuff hanging in it.
Actually in real life there are a few more coats hanging in there, but you get the picture.






Visit thecsiproject.com

33 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I so LOVE what you did here...it looks outstanding!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

Robin that closet turned out so pretty! I just love the stencil and the colors that you used. You have such talent and your home is beautiful! always look forward to your next post:).

~Julia

Anonymous said...

Love it! You have tons of patience to paint that stencil. The end result is gorgeous!!

Beth's Blog said...

Oh My Gosh, I can't believe you did all that stenciling yourself ... you are now my hero!

I love it is gorgeous!!

Shaylen said...

This is so beautiful!! Someday I am going to hire you to decorate my house for me...:) Love it!

Life in Rehab said...

Excellent redo of a ridiculously shallow closet! Now it's attractive, organized, and wonderfully functional.

Unknown said...

That's just so awesome. I love the idea of ditching the rod in favor of those hooks! So much more functional!

A said...

That is so sweet! I love the way it turned out.

{Peppermint Plum} said...

This is so awesome! I saw it in my blog reader today and I couldnt look away. Great job! :)

-Annie @ {PeppermintPlum}

Katie Olthoff said...

I adore this! Especially the stencil!

LaKeta said...

This is beautiful and practical!!! I love it!

Visiting from TT&J...

LaKeta
1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Simply Stunning! Makes me wish I had a hall closet so I can copy! Incredible job.

Tania Pelletier said...

Wow, it looks great! I would have never thought of taking off the doors completely, it looks like it's just a nice little niche now! Love it!

Tania

Megan Gunyan said...

It's a beautiful closet. I especially love your homemade stencil. You have tons of patience, but it certainly paid off. I love it! Great job.

I hope you can join my "our nest" sign giveaway going on now! Ends tonight. http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-with-shinar-mountain-designs.html

Sandy said...

Great makeover! You have a lot more patience than me :0)

Tiffany said...

I just can't get over how awesome that looks. I might give this a whirl with my trusty silver Sharpie!

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Great idea Tiffany!!! About halfway through, I considered buying a white paint pen. Any kind of pen is probably easier to use than a tiny little paint brush. If I use this stencil anywhere in my home again...which I probably will, I think I'll use a paint pen or sharpie too. Seriously would save a lot of time, thanks for sharing.
~Robin

chris said...

What a wonderful transformation. I love how open it feels. So where do you stash your vacuum now?

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Great question Chris! I now stash it in one of the kids closets and it hasn't been that big a deal so far. It sure makes it handy when I need to vacuum their rooms! lol!

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT. Its truly amazing that one can turn something as small as a closet into a special beautiful little space. Great job, and free hand "WOW" looks great. Thanks for linking. Jen

DIYbyDesign said...

I thought it was wallpaper! Amazing job with the stencil. I know how long it takes to stencil a wall. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments. I really appreciate it.

Robin Johnson said...

What a fabulous change! I love the pretty special touches you have added. Now your closet is a beautiful part of you home.

Anonymous said...

Great upgrade!!! The pop of pattern looks great.

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

I love this great job! Can you please come over and do mine {smile}?

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Beautiful closet transformation! That stencil is lovely! So inspiring! I'm bookmarking this :)

Dori said...

That looks wonderful! Amazing how it can transform a space! Great vision. I am happy to find your blog!

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Robin, I love the stencil! The wall color is gorgeous too. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Robin - Love this makeover - what a fabulous space! The stencil treatment looks amazing. Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday showcase party - I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I'm loving the grey walls. Great color.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

WOW!
This is fabulous I'm in love with your stencil!
Fabulous!

Tatum @ Tatum's Take said...

Oh my goodness! I just used that same stencil on my coat closet, also from Jones Design and I blogged about it too! I found your blog because I was doing a search on other stencil ideas for my bedroom closet.

Great job!

Manymomentsofme.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Looks great!

Carli-Made by Carli said...

This came out beautiful! I'm dying to hear more about the wall treatment in the hallway . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...