Jun 10, 2010

The End of The Paper Pile Up!

I have several weaknesses.
This is one of them:

(Paper Pile Up)

Every time a paper comes into our home, and it's not a bill, it ends up in this spot.
(On the side of our couch, hidden behind an end table.)

I needed to come up with something to solve this problem.
Pronto.
Using my 40% off coupon at Michael's, I bought a cute basket.
But I wasn't going to use this basket to just throw all my papers into.
That would solve nothing.
Before I know it, that basket would have ended up over flowing.
My basket needed dividers!!!
Cute ones!
So I went to work, using only supplies I already had hanging around the house.

First, I measured my basket to see how big my dividers needed to be.  I used an old cardboard box I had laying around and cut squares out, that were slightly bigger than my measurements, so that they would fit in my basket nice and snug.

Then I snagged some fabric from my craft closet.
I used a regular stapler to attach the fabric to the cardboard.  I probably could have used hot glue instead, but I didn't think about doing that until hours later.
Oh-well.


I folded in all my edges so I would have nice clean lines.




Then I used some card stock to make labels for my dividers.
I cut out a shape I liked, printed out each category that I wanted, and then mod podged the two pieces together.
I hot glued my label to the top of each divider.
My categories include:
- To Do
(This includes bills, things that need to be returned to my children's school, or other pressing papers.)
- Receipts & Statements
- Coupons


And this is my final product!
Looking at it actually makes me excited to organize that daunting paper pile of mine!


My goal is to have that entire paper pile gone (and organized) by Monday.
I'll post my progress by then. 

19 comments:

Brooke said...

What a great blog! I am your newest follower. I can't wait to see what other ideas you have.

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

This is such a good idea/tutorial for that I HOPE you'll get yourself a link from our blog to this tutorial by using our DIY / Craft Tutorial Linky Party (PR 3-4 site, http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-linky-party-free-pillow-crochet-pattern/ )

We've only just began this linky party series, but it's going to be every Wednesday, from now on.

We'll leave this first linky party open for a whole week, and will probably continue till all the good tutorial writers/creative talents know where to go on EVERY WEDNESDAY.

Hope to see you on the FCG blog!

BTW If you hop over to the blog today, you can put your name in the hat for a $50 Lisa Leonard jewelry gift certificate. Who knows...maybe you'll win. Her jewels are gorgeous and unique to you, the wearer as they are all customized.

a boy a girl and a pug said...

such a great idea. looks fantastic!

Becca Ross said...

VERY creative! Nice job. Thanks for linking up to Home and Family Friday. Your blog looks great.

Becca

Sarah said...

Love this idea! A friend had asked my help with a cute way to store/organizer her daughter's CDs (most w/o cases). I bought a cute basket but couldn't figure out what to do from there. This is perfect!

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Very cute idea. The paper piles in my house are the bane of my existence.

Karey Culp said...

Great Idea!
Thanks so much for sharing it!

KareyEllen
KareyEllenDesigns.blogspot.com

Heather said...

I could totally use this (esp for coupons)!! Would love for you to link this up to Fabulous Friday! It's up until tomorrow night (Monday!)
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

Hoosier Homemade said...

I could really use this! I seem to be able to be organized with everything, except paperwork!
On my other blog...It's A Blog Party...every Monday is Craft/Diy Day, I'd love for you to link up this week. We host a different linky party every day, if you are interested in linking up any other day!
http://itsablogparty.com
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

I'm so glad you like it!!!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Great idea and so simple to do and nice way to stay organized. Thanks for sharing! ~ Laura

Casey said...

This is such a good idea! and it is something I really need to do, I hate the ever growing pile of papers

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

I featured your project this week!

http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2010/06/16/hookin-up-with-hoh-8/

Life in Rehab said...

I found you over at Allison Hepworth's and this is such an elegantly simple idea. I and definitely going to be doing it. Please pop by my blog if you have a sec. Now, I need to see what else you've done....

Unknown said...

I love this project! I've been needing a way to tackle my paper clutter too, and this is perfect! Found your blog from HOH too! I'm your newest follower.

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

this is just SOOOO what I need. My hardest choice is always what to write on the dividers....

Thank you for contributing this to http://www.FineCraftGuild.com's DIY Tutorial Linky Party.

It's beautiful and well presented.

If you have a new & equally wonderful tutorial you wish to share with us this week, come on over. We just opened a new linky party for this week's greatest talented artisans out there! (and you are one of them ;-0)

Pam said...

Following along now. Sunny from Life in Rehab sent me over to look at this project and I'm glad I did. It's very inspiring, clever and functional. Definitely on my to do list now. Thanks! Pam @ Sallygoodin

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com said...

you know, i'm still in love with this oh so simple tutorial... i guess i have to make one now...!! ha ha

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Great idea! Love that you used the cardboard! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...