Jul 19, 2010

Baby Shower Gift Idea

A few days ago I was invited to a really good friend's baby shower.
She's having her first baby girl!
{So exciting!!!}
I wanted to get her something really great but it was a few days before pay day so I was on a really slim budget. 
{Ever know that feeling?!?}
I decided to make her little one a couple of unique little one peices and then package them uniquely as well.
I wish I'd taken more pictures but I'll just share what I've got.

I bought two white organic cotton bodysuits at Walmart for $2.00 a piece.
{I'm not a big organic kind of person so that was just a bonus.}
My Walmart also has a fabric section {I know some Walmart's don't} and they sell individual pre-packaged pieces of fabric that measure 18" x 21" for $1.00 a piece.
I bought two...each one with a different design.

And then here's what I did:
I used Heat n Bond {$1.97 for 1 1/4 yards at Walmart}
and, following the directions on the back of the package, I ironed it onto the back of a small piece of the fabric that I cut out.
For my template, I used a butterfly silhouette found HERE.
I followed all the directions on the back of the Heat n Bond and then I pinned my template onto the fabric and cut it out.


The next step was to peal the paper backing off of the back of the fabric from the Heat n Bond, decide where I wanted to place the butterfly, and then iron it onto the bodysuit.
Sooo simple!
I can't believe I've never done this kind of thing before!

{I know this butterfly is pretty big.  Looking back, maybe I should have downsized it!}

I chose to do a bird silhouette in a different fabric on the second bodysuit.


For those who don't already know, there are two kinds of Heat n Bond:  Lite {purple package}
and Ultra hold {red package}.
If I had used the red package I could have just stopped here and been done...but I didn't.
So I hand stitched all around each silhouette to make sure it was going to stay nice and snug on each little bodysuit.
This took a lot of time but turned out super cute!

{Close up}

{Finished Product}

{Cute little bird!}

I packaged both bodysuits in a jar that I already had on hand by rolling the bodysuits up and tying them up with twine.
I spray painted the lid of the jar to make it a little cuter and added a twine bow and a card.
I've never received a gift in a jar that wasn't jam or some kind of food, so hopefully my friend didn't think this was too far out there.
But I think it's kind of cute!!!


27 comments:

Jensamom23 said...

Super cute! I love the idea of the jar as the holder. I may borrow that idea if it's okay!

Emily Jane said...

This is fabulous! I have several baby showers coming up so I might just spend a day making onesies! Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Saw your post at Tatertots and Jello. SO cute. Love the little birdy! The hand stitching is an added little personal touch. I probably would have used my machine but i like the look of the handstitching much better. your friend will love these onesies!

Carry Grace said...

This is adorable! I'm going to have to do this. My favorite part is the spray painted jar lid.

Christine said...

Very very clever!

Simply Domestic said...

What a cute idea! I found you at Tatertots and Jello. I'm your newest follower.

Anonymous said...

Very nice idea!! I would be happy to get that as a gift! You made it and didn't buy it from a store! Does it get much better than that!?!

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

Those are adorable! Love the jar too...very cute!

kim c said...

this is such a great gift presentation! saw you at tatertots. thanks for sharing. love this

greenbean said...

love this!...the idea of using the jar!...how stinking cute...and oh so clever!...

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I'm so doing this for my next baby shower. :)

Fuzzy Slippers said...

Wow! This is such a great idea! I love getting gifts in fun kinda packaging. I'm sure your friend loved her presents. :)

Staci J said...

Darling, and I think the jar idea is just plain clever, love the yellow lid!
Visiting from justsewsassy.com

Unknown said...

i love this! come on over and link up to MMM!!!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Love the jar!!! Very fabulous!

Sassy Sites! said...

CUTE!!! I love your blog! Great ideas! I am your newest follower. Stop by Sassy Sites and say HI! :)

Jami said...

So adorable!! Hearting that sweet bird! You are super creative! I hope you'll stop by my Pretty Packages Party next week and share some of your talent! Be sure to pick up a button so you don't forget!
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com
smiles!!

Tracy said...

So adorable! I had already bought onesies and now I know how I am going to package them :) I plan to make one with the tie on the front for a friend having a boy.

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Great idea Tracy!!!

Wendy said...

So Cute! I found you on Tatertots and Jello weekend wrap-up. I'm loving the wrapping it in a jar!! :)

Wendy said...

Cute Cute Cute! What a fun idea!

Jenni said...

awe, what a cute idea! i bet everyone oooo'd and awwwwwwwe'd! i know i would have!

Kit said...

Very very cute! I know just the mommy who's gonna love getting these! I may do the same thing for matching burp cloths too. Great job!

Heather said...

You did a wonderful job and I LOVE your idea about putting them in the jar!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Precious!!! The birdie is my favorite. :) Thanks for the tips about the heat 'n bond. Visiting from The CSI Project. :)

Driftwood Girl @ Beauty and Inspiration said...

Oh, I love this idea! It's perfect and can be personalized. Thanks for sharing!

Sew Hungryhippie said...

SUPER cute! Love the painted jar lid...it pops! I just used 4 cans of spray paint on my DIY makeover---to be posted tomorrow on my blog. (I hope! hahaha)

cheers!
natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...