Mar 14, 2017

Spring is in the Air


After the coldest, harshest winter in years, I am more than ready for spring right now!  Luckily it's literally right around the corner, less than a week away.  It has me grinning from ear to ear!

Just like a lot of you, when spring is on my mind, I start brainstorming about all those nooks and crannies in my home that need cleaning and special attention.  My windows need a major cleaning from all that harsh winter weather, my closets need to be pared down and winter clothes need to be packed away till next year.  All of this cleaning and paring down breathes a feeling of fresh clarity and lightness into our home.


Then it's time to start thinking outside projects!  Spring for us means planning our summer garden and eagerly checking the weather app on our phones to figure out the best time for planting.  The warmer temperatures mean it's finally comfortable enough to tackle other outdoor projects as well.  We've lived in our current home less than a year and because we're in the midst of turning our acre and a quarter into a small suburban farm, we have lots of outdoor preparations. (Planting fruit trees, fencing for animals, building raised garden beds, etc.)


We have seventeen chickens and one rooster, named Napoleon.  It definitely feels like spring around here, when we go to collect their eggs in the afternoon and we come back with an overflowing egg basket.  Our kitchen counter looks so springy after the eggs have been washed and are ready to be refrigerated.


My favorite way to bring spring indoors and lighten the stale winter mood, is to bring in fresh grocery store flowers.  These flowers are from Yokes, our local market.  Aren't they beautiful?  I love the pop of color. 

Along with the scent of fresh flowers, I like to shop for new spring scents for our home as well.  We love to light candles in the evenings around here, no matter what time of year it is.  But instead of wintery scents like cinnamon or pumpkin spice, I like to switch to vanilla or coastal smells.

After a long cold winter, hibernating in our home, my favorite thing to do in the spring is to open all the windows.  The fresh air and sound of local song birds, brightens my mood.  What can be more simple than opening a window?

Happy Spring friends!
We've made it through another winter.



2 comments:

Elite said...

Spring brings to mind all the cleaning that has to be done, especially the roof and gutters.

Unknown said...

I have loved your blog for years! I have a split level house myself and will admit to stealing many ideas and inspiration. Currently, mother and I are dicussing flooring and I remember seeing a picture of your stairs from the viewpoint of entering the house. I believe you had a cute little dog featured in the picture at the top of your stairs. :) hoping you could send it to me with any other tips on how you achieved the look.

Loved the spring blog- read it to my mother while we spoke on the phone :)

Jessica

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...