Jun 14, 2011

Simple Reading Nook


Just a few days ago I made this simple little reading nook for my kiddos in their playroom.
Now when I say simple,
I. mean. simple.
Like it took me literally less than five minutes to do this.
I've wanted to utilize this corner of the playroom as a reading nook forever.
But I thought I should maybe wait until I had the budget to do something fancy and really cute and creative.
That was stupid thinking.
My kids don't really care how cute and creative it is.  They just like that they now have a small little area of their own that they can go to with a favorite blanket, a pillow, and a book.

If you have an empty corner of a bedroom, a playroom ,or even a family room that you would like to use as a little reading nook for your little ones {or maybe even for yourself... ;) }, this is all you need:

2 sheer curtains {because they're light weight}
+
about 12 thumb tacks
.
.
.
Yup, it's that simple.

I gathered the curtains at the top and kept them in place on the ceiling with the thumbtacks.
I thought the thumbtacks might not be strong enough but my three kiddos have tugged on these curtains a ton and they haven't fallen down once.


 My curtains were homemade from like 2004 and they were pretty long. 
So towards the bottom, I tied knots in them so they wouldn't drag on the floor so much.

So far, this little corner has been a very popular place for summer reading.


7 comments:

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Wonderful idea!! You can certainly make a nook in any space no matter what size it is. Thanks for sharing this idea!! : )

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love this - would be super cozy with a bean bag! Are the thumb tacks long-term? My kids would have those curtains down in about 5 seconds flat, stepping on thumbtacks.

www.StarHughes.com said...

Love this idea! It's nice to have a little quiet area for reading. Good thinking!
Star Hughes Living

dandee said...

You're so right, Robin. Children could care less how fancy things are, the point is you actually created a space they can enjoy. Right now. Not when the money has been saved or the plans have been drawn up. Thanks for the reminder, friend. xo.

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

So darling! I'm sure my readers would love to see this. Please stop by & link it up to my linky party.

Warmly, Michelle

tharker said...

Brilliant!!

Cailan said...

This is such a superb idea for creating that little nook area that most of us don't just have in our home - my kids would love this! Thinking right now where I could hang some reading nook curtains... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...