Oct 10, 2011

Fall Treat: Saucy Bars


I love warm fall treats.  This one is called Saucy Bars.  It's my grandmother's recipe.  She passed away before I was born.   But my mother kept this recipe going. 

Last night I decided to make them for my family.
Smelling them while they baked in the oven brought back so many childhood memories!
They taste divine.

Want the recipe???
Here you go:

Saucy Bars

Mix:  1/2 Cup Shortening {or butter}
         1 Cup Sugar
         1 Cup Applesauce
         1 tsp. vanilla

Then add and mix:  2 Cups Flour
                              1 tsp. Baking Soda
                              1/2  tsp. Salt        
                              1 tsp. Cinnamon
                              1 tsp. Nutmeg
                              1/2 tsp. cloves        

{optional:  stir in 1 cup raisins or 1/2 cup walnuts}

Mix well.  Spread batter in greased 13x9" pan.  Bake 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Frost with thin coating of confectioners sugar icing while warm and then cut into bars.
Makes about 2 dozen bars.

{Icing:  1/4 Cup melted butter, 1 Cup powdered sugar, & 1 tsp. vanilla.}     

Lovely tidbit:  This is a baked good that does not require eggs.  So if you're in the mood to create a tasty treat and then realize you're out of eggs and don't want to have to run to the store, have no fear!  This recipe is the one for you!  :)     

4 comments:

Makayla said...

Yummm. Love these. I still remember the first time I made these and didn't realize there was a difference between teaspoons and tablespoons. :-) I think I will try making a gluten free version of these this year. Thanks for reminding me of this family tradition.

Lily said...

This recipe looks delicious Robin! I am definitely giving it a try:).

~Julia

tharker said...

these look so yummy!

Beth's Blog said...

yumm .... these look good! I will have to try them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...