Dec 14, 2015

A Simply Decorated Christmas


Merry Christmas friends!  I got the bug to blog again.  So I decided to wake up before the rest of the house does and use this quiet time to share our simply decorated house at Christmas time.  It's not a lot different than in years past.  The only difference is that my huge Christmas box is still half way full of things I decided not to use this year.  I did that on purpose.  Most years, it all begins to feel like clutter to me come December 20ish and I can't wait to box it all up again.  I didn't want to feel that way this year.  


I used a few things that trigger old memories, like this candy cane.  It used to be my mother's and then she gave it to me (I think she made it at a Relief Society meeting years and years ago.)  Growing up, I remember it hanging on the inside doorknob of our front door.


I hung a fake wreath (from Michael's) on our pantry door and trimmed it with a fancy red bow. I didn't have an extra wreath hanger lying around, so I used a gingham strip of fabric and a thumb tack to hang it.



Some tree trimmings from our live "Home Depot" Christmas tree, add Christmas life to a couple of open cupboards in our kitchen.


A large "Merry Christmas" ornament, gifted to us a few years ago, accompanies a plant on the kitchen window sill.


Spare buckets hold seasonal citrus.


One of the only Christmas decorations I bought new this year was this little manger.  The little basket (from Target's dollar spot), holds little pieces of straw.  Each time we do an act of service this Christmas season, we add a piece of straw to the manger.  By Christmas Day I hope to see this manger full to the brim and then I'll lay a little baby Jesus on top of the straw.    I hope this reminds our family daily of the true meaning of Christmas.


The other new Christmas addition this year is this red reindeer head pillow cover from Amazon.  I can always find the cheapest/cutest pillow covers on Amazon.  That black and white buffalo check pillow cover was bought on Amazin as well (for like five bucks!)


Our fireplace mantel has a couple of simple red Walmart lanterns, some Christmas tree trimmings, circle felt garland that I made a few years ago, and some tiny battery operated lights.  The lights are hard to see in this picture, but at night they look so cozy up there.


This nativity is another Walmart find from a few years ago.  I love it's constant reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.


We've never had a fancy decorated Christmas tree.  Every year we get a real tree.  My husband trims the awkward branches and adds white lights.  Then we watch "White Christmas" and decorate the tree as a family.  The ornaments consist of red and white candy canes, grade school handmade treasures, gifted ornaments from friends and relatives, buffalo check red bows, and an added touch of hand strung popcorn and cranberries.  It's super down to earth and family friendly. :)

I hope you all enjoy this Christmas season!  I love the gentle reminders, especially during this time of year, to serve and love others more generously, the way our Savior has taught us to. 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...