Sep 21, 2010

Household Cleaning Schedule

I LOVE a clean, well functioning home.
Who doesn't?
A clean house feels
peaceful...
happy...
organized.


{image courtesy of rockabyebabymusic.com}

But...
I don't know about all of you out there, cleaning my house day after day after day, can sometimes feel REALLY tedious.

So sometimes I do really silly little things to motivate myself {or my children for that matter} to get all the little jobs done to make our house clean.

These are some of my motivators:

Racing the timer on the microwave
Taking a before and after picture of a room
Playing my favorite music in the background from pandora.com
Inviting company over {cause who wants to invite people over to a messy house???}
and when all else fails, chocolate will do the job. 
{It's an excellent motivator...one Hershy Kiss for each job that is completed!}


Well, the other day I decided that what might work even better {or with...cause I don't want to leave out the chocolate or the fun music}, is to come up with a household cleaning schedule.
Cause I'm also a list lover!
I love making to-do lists and crossing things off!!!

So I made this list of chores that needs to be done using Microsoft Excel, I printed it out, stuck it in some clear binder sleeves {what are they called???}, and taped it to the inside of my pantry door.  Because the list is in a clear sleeve, I can use a dry erase marker to mark off a chore that has been completed.  I can also erase all the marks when the week is over.

And by the way, I'm not the only person who is going to be crossing things off this list. 
It's important to involve the whole family because we all make the messes.

Anyway, I made four columns for my cleaning schedule.
**Click on the picture below for a larger view.**


The first column says "Daily".
This includes all the things that need to be done everyday {dishes, sweeping, etc.}.

The second column says "2 x A Week".
This is for things that need to be done twice a week {vacuuming, bathrooms, etc.}.
I assigned these tasks to a specific day.

The third column says "1 x A Week".
This is for things that need to be done once a week {mopping, dusting, etc.}.
I also assigned these to a specific day of the week.

The last column says "Monthly".
This is for those chores that don't need to be done as often, like something I might do during spring cleaning or something.
This can include things like washing windows, wiping the dust off of blinds or fan blades, etc.

I'm super excited about this new system I have in place and so are my kids!
They couldn't wait to go make their beds this morning so they could cross it off the list!

This idea is super super simple and can totally be done to fit your own household needs.

Happy Cleaning!!!
I've got to get up off this chair and go complete my list for today!
{I also have a piece of Dove chocolate that will be waiting for me when all my jobs are done...wink, wink!}

Linked to these lovely blogs:  Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios

13 comments:

Kelsey said...

This post reminds me so much of myself! I just can't relax when I know that the dishes are sitting in the sink, or the floor needs a good mopping. I love your motivational ideas and the list!

Julia said...

Oh, I am so glad there are others out there just like me!! I love your list idea and motivators. Chocolate is always great:). Thanks for the wonderful idea:).

~Julia

Jennifer Juniper said...

Wow, I totally need this! I just watched Julie and Julia this weekend and my favorite line from the movie was "I think I have ADD, that is why I'm so bad at housework." Amen, sister!

Unknown said...

Great post! Just wanted to also suggest for the kids. . .we have an "A", "B", and "C" chore list. "A" chores are regular everyday chores (that quickly get boring). "B" chores - a little more regular. And "C" chores are "once every couple of months chores" like washing windows.

Our deal is that we tell our son, "Go do 3 chores on the C list" and he can pick whatever he wants. So he's not always doing A chores. I guess you can say that it adds some variety. He likes it because he can pick from a long list (and he's picks the easiest stuff). I like it because I got to dream up each list and the C list was the most fun ("hmmmm...it'd be fun to have a clean front door every once in awhile and a clean window or maybe even a clean ceiling fan!!"). And I like it because I do ACTUALLY get things on the C list! (We don't make him clean ALL the windows - usually only 1 or 2 at a time.)

It's been working for us.

Kelly

Tammy_Skipper said...

I have always wanted to implement a plan like this but never seem to find a way to create the actual list, could you share yours? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Why would "reading scriptures" be on this list?

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Anonymous,
I try and read my scriptures (bible/book of mormon) everyday. Somedays get really busy though and I just need a little reminder so I remember to do that. It keeps me close to my Savior and helps me be a better mom/wife/woman.

This household schedule is great because you can put anything you want on it. Anything that your own household needs/wants to get done. "Read Scriptures" is just something that our family tries to do everyday.
~Robin

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Anonymous,
Just wanted to add...I know reading scriptures is not something that needs to be cleaned around the house. LOL! Sorry for the confusion.

Just make your list personal.
~Robin

Kalynn's Mommy said...

I love this, I follow the flylady on flylady.net. Well, I try anyway. But similar concept.

Kristin said...

This is a really great idea, but I don't know where to begin. Is there anyway you'd share your fancy checklist via email? kristindoyle@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Getting started for cleaning house is much more difficult than to do it but i liked to be organized and happy!!
Professional cleaning company

Suzanne said...

I've just spent the last 2 hours looking online for a schedule just like the one you've made. Are you willing to send me a copy of it? Thanks! bloomwhereplanted@juno.com

Anonymous said...

Love your list! I, too, would love to get a copy of it if you'd be kind enough to send it to me? Thank you so much! christaginsberg@hotmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...