Sep 9, 2011

Freezing Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Last year we bought this really huge deep freezer off of craigslist for practically nothing.  I had been wanting one for a long time, so this was like a wonderful gift from God.  Seriously. Anyway, since then, I've been trying to fill it up as much as possible with homemade frozen meals, veggies from our garden, or good sale items from the grocery store like cheese or bread or meat.  It's been really fun to see my frozen foods stockpile grow.  

Well another food item I've been wanting to prepare and freeze for awhile is cookie dough.  I can think of so many reasons for freezing it.  Like... a quick and warm after school snack, when I'm in a hurry, dessert after dinner, when I don't have time to make anything else, a yummy midnight snack {wink}, or a nice easy treat to enjoy if friends or family stop by unexpectedly.  So as you can see, lots of reasons to have ready made frozen cookie dough.  It's really easy too.  Now you could just make a batch of your favorite cookie dough, put it in a tupperware tub of some sort and stick it in the freezer.  And although I have used this method before it's a little harder because you have to wait for the whole thing to soften a bit before you scoop any of it out to make cookies... or to snack on it.  {just kidding, who does that???}

Here's an easier more convenient way to store cookie dough:
Make up your favorite dough. {I chose dandees perfect chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, my favorite.}  Scoop the dough out onto a cookie sheet using an ice cream scoop.  When the cookie sheet is full, stick it in the freezer for two hours.  Then take the cookie sheet out and transfer all the ready made cookie dough balls into a large freezer ziplock bag.  That's it.  It's so simple, and yet so convenient now to just pop a dozen or even two balls of cookie dough in the oven at any time.  {...and it's a lot easier to snack on too, one ball at a time, hee hee.}

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

We just bought a freezer on craigslist too! I'm going to have to do this! Great idea!! I often find myself craving a cookie after dinner, but I don't want to do all the work.

DeAnne said...

Do you have to let the frozen balls thaw before you put them in the oven? I am hoping to get my hands on a deep freeze soon too.

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Hey DeAnne! You do not have to let the frozen balls thaw. I just place them on a cookie sheet while the oven heats up and then pop them in! That's the awesomeness about it all! It's sooo convenient and easy!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...